Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Carrying Model nineteens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member conductor's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Carrying Model nineteens

    is it safe to pick up a model nineteen by its top to move it around the room? I've not seen or heard of any being damaged this way. I know the tops and bottoms are held together by just two bolts. It seems like people who might not know how they are constructed would just grab them by the tops to move them.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    I've done it but with the divers and horns removed. The cabs are particle board and old so use caution. If you have two people, carry them upright.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    Carrying Model nineteens


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    +1 on what Zelgall said.

    I wouldn't.. As noted they are made of MDF particle board and they are quite heavy and bulky..So it wouldn't be hard IMHO to break apart the area that the bolts go through to secure top to bottoms,especially if the bolts are already loose.. A better way is to lean them over on their sides and grab them from the bottom and carry them from the bottom.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Carrying Model nineteens


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    - Mike

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    I didn't know the Model 19 cabinets were held together with only two bolts. I know this is probably an Altec sacrilige, but I've never liked the idea or look of the two part cabinets. Is the two part construction thought to contribute to the sound?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    I would think not having the horn mounted to the baffle that the LF driver is mounted to would help keep vibrations to a minimum.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carrying Model nineteens

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I didn't know the Model 19 cabinets were held together with only two bolts. I know this is probably an Altec sacrilige, but I've never liked the idea or look of the two part cabinets. Is the two part construction thought to contribute to the sound?
    I added extra bolts to mine. The spacer typically has gaps around the mating surfaces and it makes it more secure with extra fasteners.
    As for whether the 2 part cab contributes to the sound, I've heard from some folks that it provides a resonant cavity but I think it's esthetic. That's a pretty big box to put in your living room if it's just a plain rectangular box. Similarly, many people say that the horn is set back to provide some time alignment for the crossover used but I think it's so the horn lips don't protrude too far and it allows the front covers to be limited to the 2" they stick out as is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.